This month's BMQG meeting was a workshop using the Twister rulers. The plan was for everyone to bring a top ready to cut and the amazing Aimee would demo how to use the rulers. I've already made a Valentine quilt using the Lil' Twister ruler so this was a good time to put the bigger version to use.
I stopped in at Quilter's Way and nabbed this new layer cake of hello luscious by basic grey and some red FSDS for the border.
The hardest part of this quilt is figuring out how to layout your squares. This design is all about contrast! After much debate I put this together. I swear it took longer to layout the fabrics than it did to sew the top together.
Unfortunately the weather here in New England wasn't cooperating and the meeting was cancelled due to snow. Since I was going to be stuck at home for the day anyway I went ahead and used the ruler to cut out the squares. It's such a leap of faith to start hacking up a perfectly good quilt top!
Here it is reassembled. Now I just have to wait for the yardage to be released 2/15 so I can put on an outer border and add it to my massive TBQ pile. I should just book longarm time now! I'm really happy with the end result. I don't know how many times I tried to talk myself out of the red border. My gut said it was the right decision by my head kept pushing for something safe like the Bella Snow. In the end I think it really made the pinwheels pop and a much more visually interesting quilt.